On the Road to the Lovely City of Cologne
A building whose history always centred around hospitality is now once again a place of international encounters: the building of HOPPER St. Antonius was constructed in 1904 by the Kolping Brotherhood and in 1905 was dedicated to holy St. Antonius. Up until a few years ago the »Antoniushaus« still housed »wandering journeymen« as one of the largest and most modern Kolping establishments. With its central location near the Cathedral and main railway station the building was always very popular. However, life on the road as a travelling journeyman increasingly declined in the age of technical and social change, leading the Kolping organisation to finally give up the Antoniushaus in 1997. In late 1997 plans began for extensive renovation and redesign of the building – which had not seen rebuilding in line with original designs after the damage suffered in the Second World War.
As part of the renovation work this aspect was largely rectified. Which means the building now once again features its original stepped gable and every single one of its transom windows was also renovated in line with historic conservation considerations. Many points inside the building also display parts of the original structure. For instance, the Mettlach tiles and the restored vaulting in what is today’s restaurant contribute to the inviting charm of the old dining room.